Pages

Monday, October 13, 2008

eee-hee-hee-hee-heeeee!!!!!

the pumpkins and the witch

5 little pumpkins sitting on a fence,
a witch came flying by!
eee-hee-hee-hee-heeee!
I'll take you and make some pumpkin pie!

(then there were, 4, 3, 2, 1, etc...)

0 pumpkins sitting on a fence,
a witch came flying by!
eee-hee-hee-hee-heeee!
eating pumpkin pie!



I got the wonderful idea to use manipulatives during my circle time fingerplays from Laura at My Montessori Journey! For the pumpkins and the witch, I cut shapes out of felt and then hot-glued them to a piece cardboard. The witch's hair is yellow mohair, and her broom is a shish-kebab stick with white yarn hot-glued to one end. Next, I hot-glued round magnets to the back of each piece. The black background that the magnets stick to is just a metal tray from a toaster oven - I don't think it had been used for cooking, so it was a good find!



The children already know this particular fingerplay by heart, so they were really excited about the manipulatives. It was like one of their favorite Halloween stories had finally come to life - a total concrete experience. They counted the pumpkins like they had never counted them before! :) Thanks, Laura!

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome! What a creative person you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you know this song...it will go with your pumpkins

    5 pumpkins fat & round
    in a field outside of town
    waiting for halloween to come (uh-huh)
    Along came the farmers son
    he picked the biggest one
    then there were 4 pumpkins fat & round ( uh-huh)

    (4-3-2-1-) ..to the tune of 5 green & speckled frogs

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the witch . . . i cannot wait to have one in my class (wink, wink).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss hearing your creepy witch voice!! Lol! These posts make me miss our teaching days together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha - you'll hear it soon enough at the party! Can't wait!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...