Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

a little tour: e's coat rack

Help me to do it all by myself!  One of the first principals I learned in my Montessori training was to picture these words written across the forehead of each child.  Although this was easy for me as a teacher, it's much harder for me to remember these words as a mama.  It's clear how satisfying it is for my 15-month old to do things all by herself, but I continually catch myself doing things for her.

"Everyone knows that it requires much more time and patience to teach a child how to eat, wash, and clothe himself than it does to feed, bathe, and clothe him by oneself.  The one who does the former is an educator, the latter performs the lower office of a servant."  Maria Montessori, The Discovery of the Child

I admit that one of the reasons I do things for Elise is because it's easier and faster, but it's also because she's my baby and I like doing things for her! Keeping all this in mind, I've been trying to put my energy and love into creating more spaces like the one pictured above for Elise.  A row of hooks hung at her height and a low stool create a perfect spot by the backdoor to practice getting dressed to go outside.  It also shows Elise that she is an important part of the family, and that someday soon she will be doing this task independently!

How do you support your child's independence?  Please share in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I have a small space for Sixtine but no coat rack as of yet (she does have one in her room). She loves to sit on her wooden seat and take her shoes off...She obsessed with shoes ;) I love Elise's grey coat. I have been wondering: why did you pick Elise as a name? Do you or your husband have any French background?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...